Emma Fox Sentencing Hearing

MIKE BRABAZON

EDITOR-IN-CHIEF

On Wednesday Feb. 7 Emma Fox was sentenced in the Westchester County Court to 6 months in Westchester Country Jail for second degree vehicular manslaughter. Fox killed Robert Schartner with her car in 2016. She was currently with the 6 months for second degree vehicular manslaughter. Fox has been incarcerated since Dec. 20, 2017 when the plea agreement was reached.

Family and friends of Schartner were in attendance for the sentencing. Fox entered the court room with her head down and her hands cuffed behind her back. Judge Helen Blackwood allowed Scott Hall, the step father of Schartner, to speak. Hall knew him for his entire life and has been his step father since Schartner was 7 years old. He spoke on behalf of his wife, Donna Hall.

“I am not here today because I do not want to see your face, your decision was just plain murder,” said Hall on behalf of his wife.

Hall was choked up and shed tears while delivering his speech. “I just want to go to sleep to rest my broken heart.” Judge Blackwood handed down the sentence which was negotiated between the District Attorney and Fox’s attorney, Lewis Stephens, called ‘shock probation’. This sentence consists of the 6 months she will serve in jail, then 4 and a half years of probation.

PHOTO CREDIT: GOVALIANTS

Amidst many probation conditions, she will go without a license for 6 months. Following the 6 months she can petition her probation officer for relicensing. If granted, every vehicle she drives must have an Ignition Interlock Device. This device requires the operator to pass a hard-wired breathalyzer test in order for the vehicle to start.

Fox was initially charged with first degree vehicular manslaughter as well as drunk driving and speeding. She was indicted in September of 2017 on the lesser charge of second-degree vehicular man slaughter. Fox plead guilty on Nov. 29, 2017 to this charge and initially faced up to 7 years in prison.

“This is a tragedy for the Schartner family and Ms. Fox,” said Judge Blackwood, “I have no doubt the impact this tragedy has had on Ms. Fox, it is obvious to me that she has taken steps in her personal development and I hope that she continues to take those steps.”

Fox was granted to opportunity to speak after sentencing.

“There is not a day that I do not think about the pain I have caused the Schartner family, I am so sorry. I do not expect the family to ever forgive me,” said Fox in her speech prior to exiting the courtroom and returning to Westchester County Jail, where she will finish her 6-month sentence.

Schartner’s presence is still felt on Manhattanville’s campus to this day. Students can be seen wearing shirts that read ‘RS3’ and sporting brace lets that say ‘RS3’…… Never Leave Your Smile At Home’, his signature phrase.

“It’s imperative to remember what Robby meant to his team, his school, and most importantly his family. While Robby may no longer be with us, his memory and smile will light the community forever,” said former lacrosse teammate and close friend of Schartner, Christian Flores.

The Schartner family has fled a wrongful death lawsuit against the Fox family and the pub Fox was drinking at prior to the incident. This case is still pending.

Email this to someoneShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Reddit