‘Tis The Season

REBECCA BONNEY

STAFF WRITER

With Thanksgiving being a success this year (as it always is), lovers of the jolly holiday can now come out of hiding and start spreading the Christmas spirit. Get ready, because you soon will be seeing Christmas all around. It’s time to get out your decorations and start writing your list, because Christmas is right around the corner.

This time of year is one of my favorites. You get to see all of the amazing decorations, the massive Rockefeller Christmas tree that they put up in the city, Christmas movies that play on TV, and, of course, all of the Christmas foods!

Photo Credit: Antonio Castagna

Just like Thanksgiving, Christmas is all about being with the ones you love and showing your appreciation. Value the time you spend with your family and friends. Some families even have Christmas traditions. I always enjoy picking and decorating the Christmas tree, which I know others enjoy as well. There are even people who still use advent calendars to count down the days until Christmas. There are many varieties of advent calendars that can vary. There are chocolate advent calendars and even ones that use mini presents; I mean, who doesn’t love getting presents?

Christmas is also never complete without making ginger bread houses and/or sugar cookies while listening to some Christmas music. Even ice skating on a frozen pond while drinking hot chocolate is always an all-time favorite winter activity. I remember my friends and I would always have a gingerbread house making competition.

We also always watch the movie, Elf, every year. While receiving presents is always something we look forward to, giving presents is just as exciting. You should start looking for that perfect present for your family and friends because before you know it Christmas will be here.

However, we shouldn’t forget that there’s another holiday around the same time. Hanukah celebrates the miracle of one drop of oil found a temple that was destroyed by the Maccabees. The drop of oil lasted for eight days which is why there are eight candles that are lit for each day that it lasted. The only thing that is in the way of Christmas is fnal’s week, which I knew we all are dreading. But all you need to do is to make it through that last week of school and then you’re free to spend the holidays relaxing at home. Good luck on your finals and have a great holiday!

Email this to someoneShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Reddit