Senior Spotlight: Brian Haggerty

LUIS ANTONIO

STAFF WRITER

Brian Haggerty grew up in Bayside, N.Y. and graduated high school at St. Francis Prep. He played four years of basketball for the Terriers. He then went onto become a student athlete at Manhattanville College, where he is majoring in history and minoring in education.

“I’m very excited about my senior year at Manhattanville. It is a bitter sweet feeling being a senior, but I’m excited to compete in my last year, and honestly I don’t want to see it end,” he said. Haggerty commented about the most memorable game of his collegiate career; “Best game of my career would have to be when we defeated #1 ranked Del Val at home in my junior year”.

Playing as a forward, Haggerty has scored over 300 points in his collegiate career. He is currently averaging 4.4 points per game. Junior year was his breakout season, starting at 24 out of 25 games on the court, with a career high against the Keystone College, when he scored 18 points. He also averaged 7.0 points and 4.4 rebounds per game with this being his first year as a starter.

Not only is he a starter, but like any good basketball player he has an athlete to look for reference in his game.

PHOTO CREDIT: MATT BERACCHITTA

“A lot of people have compared my style of play to Kristaps Porzingis (N.Y. Knicks forward) so I’d like to say I model my game after his,” said Haggerty.

The basketball team started the season with a win over St. Joseph’s College, 74-70 in the Kennedy Gym. The team then faced William Paterson and Western Connecticut State to win the AJ Buchanan Classic title. Haggerty scored 11 points in both games, playing over 20 minutes in each game.

The whole team looks ready to make a good impression in the season. Last season, the Valiants had an 8-17 overall record and this year they want to improve and put Manhattanville on the map.

When asked about the best quality of the roster, he said; “The best attribute of our team would have to be our leadership. We have a strong core of seniors that can lead this program in the right direction and set it up for a great future.”

With everything ahead of Haggerty, he shared what his plans are for after graduation: “After college I’d like to become a teacher, and later possibly become a basketball coach.”

Lastly, he gave an advice to freshmen, “Don’t take a second of your four year at Manhattanville for granted because it goes by very fast.”

Email this to someoneShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Reddit