Xavier Mosquera

Interview by Bianca Gray

Why did you want to run for President of the Class of 2021?

“I wanted to run because I wanted our freshmen class to be different from other freshmen classes. I actually wanted our class to be one big family. We all live in the same building, like a family, but we’re all divided into our own separate cliques. I don’t want us all to go our own ways and forget all of the memories we shared as freshmen together. I want to create freshmen class events where we can all communicate and get to know one another. I would like to see that happen for us.”

Were you involved with your high school’s class government like you are here at Manhattanville?

“Not exactly. In high school, I was focused on sports, and played on the baseball team. But, in college the number one thing I wanted to focus on was creating bonds with my fellow classmates and maintaining those friendships for the rest of my life. I don’t want to force friendships, but I want everyone to realize that there are so many students here that may have something in common with
you. You might never meet someone because you don’t take the time to get to know them, or even talk to them; college is all about meeting new people.”

PHOTO CREDIT: MALLORY RODRIGUEZ

What’s your major?

“I plan on majoring in nance. I’m very good when it comes to mathematics. I love dealing with numbers and money. Not to mention, I was the chief financial officer for a non-profit organization while in high school.”

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

“Honestly, I just want to have a good job and have money in the bank. However, I don’t want that money to all be for me. I would also very much like to give back to my community in any way possible. Growing up, I didn’t have the best life, I wasn’t granted as much privilege as others. So, if I become successful as an adult, I would like to give back to people, such as myself and others. One of these ways would be creating shelters for homeless people in urban and impoverished areas. Also, I would create jobs for the homeless inside of those shelters, and make those jobs available only to people who are homeless.”