Senior Spotlight: Chandler Longfellow

Senior Spotlight: Chandler Longfellow

CHRISTOPHER COLOSI

Chandler Longfellow of the Manhattanville golf team has continually taken his game to the next level. The reigning MAC Freedom Golfer of the Year has transitioned nicely into this season. He was named MAC Freedom Golfer of the Week consecutively for the second and third weeks of September and he doesn’t plan on stopping there.

Success is something that Longfellow has come ac- customed to in his time at Manhattanville and it is safe to say that he is a key leader amongst the tightly-knit- ted group. Last season as a junior, Longfellow led the Valiants in average strokes per round (79.5), a number he improved on from his sophomore season by two strokes.

He also received notable honors such as All MAC Freedom First-Team, Academic All-MAC, and MAC Spring Academic Honor Roll during his junior season. Placing first out of forty golfers in the MAC Freedom Championship last spring, it seems as if he can do no wrong.

Posting the second-best two- day score in Manhattanville College history (145 strokes) at the Duke Nelson Invitational, Longfellow picked up right where he left off. Placing 12th out of 109 golfers in the tournament and coming within one stroke of tying a school record, Longfellow was recognized as Player of the Week.

GOVALIANTS.COM

Just one week later in the Williams Fall Invitational, he continued to shine. With a two-day score of 147 strokes, he tied for 6th place out of 94 golfers, as the Valiants finished 6th out of 18 participating schools. Being honored as Golfer of the Week for this performance as well, Longfellow has continued to show us why he was named MAC Freedom Golfer of the Year.

When asked about the biggest contributors to his success on the course, Long- fellow had this to say,“For one, I’ve been able to put in a lot more work and practice since this past spring semester, which has definitely had a direct, positive impact on my game. Secondly, I’m lucky enough to have a great group of friends and family that have supported me these past few years, especially through the aggravating times in my game.”

Humble to say the least, he has quietly become one of the most decorated athletes when it comes to accolades at Manhattanville over the past few years.

“My game has taken a humongous leap in my time here at Manhattanville. As a freshman, I didn’t have a lot of experience on difficult courses, and by the end of sophomore year, my game completely changed. Partly because of some personal work back home, but also through the help of my teammates. They helped me figure out what I needed to work on and how to go about practicing to improve as much as I can.” said Longfellow.

The statistics show that with age, his game has gotten much stronger, and he agrees. “It’s always an honor to be recognized by the school or conference at any level. It feels great and really helps solidify in my mind that all of the hard work and practice has paid off over the past couple of years. I just hope I can keep improving,” said Longfellow after being recognized as Golfer of the Week again for the second time in September.

The Tim Brown Invitational in Saratoga Springs, N.Y., is the next chance Longfellow and the Valiants will get to keep improving. The sky is the lim- it for this ambitious senior, and it will be interesting to see what the next few weeks, and future holds.