The Life of Mallory Rodriguez

BIANCA GRAY

On Aug. 25, 2017 the class of 2021 entered the grounds of Manhattanville College. Among them was a young woman by the name of Mallory Rodriguez.

TARA MUPHY

Rodriguez was born in Flushing, Queens in 1999 but spent the majority of her life in the community of Ridgewood, NY, bordering Brooklyn. Her mother, Betsy Rodriguez, is a religious woman who constantly gives back to the community and her church. Her father, Roy, is a man Mallory describes as a “hands on’”type of guy who always puts others before himself.

“My parents were deffnitely instrumental in molding me into the woman I am today and for that I am incredibly grateful,” said Rodriguez. Rodriguez attended The Young Women’s Leadership School of Astoria for both middle school and high school, where she thrived as a student. She was well known among both her peers and teachers. When asked what she would miss most about high school, Mallory replied, “nothing. I went to the same school for seven years, I really needed a change, a fresh start.”

When asked about Manhattanville, Mallory spoke with fondness, “There’s just more understanding here. I feel as though my talents are more appreciated here which is something I just didn’t feel with the other schools I applied too. There are just more opportunities here. Already, I have become a Duchesne Scholar and joined the Emerging Leaders Program. Not to mention, I have auditioned for multiple dance groups on campus. You just don’t have that same sense of community anywhere else.”

As for her future, Rodriguez looks forward with hope.
She thinks about where her life will be maybe in 10 years and prays that no matter where she is, she’s happy , saying, “I would like to have graduated college, and have a stable job but, most importantly, I would like to be happy- –a happier version of the woman I am today!”

Email this to someoneShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Reddit