How to Survive Freshman Year

REBECCA BONNEY

Everyone finds it hard to start a new school year. Especially when you’re a freshman in college. It causes a lot of mixed emotions, but believe me, you’re not the only one who is going through this.

When I started my freshman year, I went through a lot of mixed emotions and changes. I wasn’t sure what to expect. My first year away from home and being on my own, I had a lot of questions; What if I didn’t make any friends? What if I don’t like my classes? What kind of clubs are there? But then I realized that I was worrying too much. Within the first couple of weeks, I found great friends, good classes, and joined a couple of clubs. It takes time to adjust to your new life.

Don’t hesitate to join new clubs. Joining a lot of clubs can bene t you in many ways: you can improve your resumé, meet new people, and improve your skills for your major. For instance, I am majoring in Communication and Media. I found that joining the school’s newspaper, The Touchstone, helped me with improving my writing skills and overall knowledge about journalism. It also gave me an opportunity to meet new people.

If you ever have trouble with your classes, or schedule, there are many ways you can get help. Sometimes professors will ask upperclassmen to be a Supplemental Instructor (SI), to help out those who may not understand the material in class and need extra help. If the class doesn’t provide an SI, you can always set up an appointment to meet with a student tutor, free of charge. Don’t be intimidated to go to an upperclassman to ask for their advice. You can always talk to your RAs in your building and in the RAs offces

Jennifer Xiomara Dardon, a senior RA at Manhattanville College, remembers her Freshman year and talks about what she wants to pass on to the freshmen.

“Being a senior, you de nitely look back at all of the good memories you had. Being a freshman is a whole di erent game moving from a di erent home then coming here and being out-of-state. The biggest thing that you should remember, is that you’re not alone especially in your first couple of weeks. You’re going to have your awkward moments, but at least you know you’re not the only one. Everyone is nervous their rst year of college. The people you meet freshman year won’t always be the same ones your friends with senior year, but you’ll still remember the good times you had with them. I think really putting yourself out there is the best thing you can do, as cliché as that sounds. Ask for help with school, take advantage of all the free stu we have. I don’t think people realize that there are different resources you have as a freshman. You have the counseling center, and 12 free sessions. Your RAs are really there for you. That’s why they work, they want to make a difference. They want to make you feel like part of a community so don’t be scared of them. Get yourself out of your comfort zone, see what else is out there. Go study abroad— that is my biggest thing. As a freshman, you’re like, ‘Oh, I have four years left.’, and most of the time it’s going to go by fast and deadlines come and go, however, as long as you don’t regret it, your experience here will be great. As a senior, I’m going to miss Manhattanville. We do have a great school, I know that. Be proud of the school you go to and make these four years really count. Good luck!”

As soon as you go over that awkward transition period, you’ll find yourself right at home. I listened to the advice that I was given and made the most out of my first year. Don’t forget that this is your year, make something great out of it and don’t let small bumps in the road get in your way!

Email this to someoneShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Reddit