Four Years Later: Memoir

ALEJANDRO GONZALEZ

“Welcome to Manhattanville Institution for the Clinically Insane. May I see your identification?”

Four quick years and the end is looming for the Class of 2017. “Ah, Manhattanville, what a ride you’ve been, but just like a golden, bald eagle I must fly off.” What more can be said other than that time will eventually devour the sun and nothing lasts forever. As the upcoming seniors prepare to take a look forward, I shall take a step back and attempt to understand the so-called “Manhattanville Experience.”
A reoccurring thought that most Manhattanville students come to terms with at least once during their college career is, “Why did I choose Manhattanville?” They wonder, “What would my college experience have been like if I went to a larger school? Would I have had a similar experience?” Personally, my answer is, I don’t know.

As a resident of this gloriously old-school-looking campus, sometimes I feel like a patient in an old, black-and-white German movie. It seems to me as though the campus is isolated miles away from suburban civilization and the only thing that surrounds us is an endless enclosure of trees, tangled foliage, an ethereal mist, and a Japanese high school whose residents are loyal customers of the Pub. If, by chance, you are hungry at 12:15 A.M. on a Wednesday night, and you don’t own a car, peace be with you if you’d like something other than pizza.

The interior designs of the residence halls don’t offer a homey environment. You can decorate all you want, it’ll still look the same. The blue-and-white tiled linoleum floors in the hallways of each building, whether it be Founder’s Hall, Spellman Hall, Dammann Hall or Tenney Hall, admittedly give off a mental-hospital vibe: complete with white, brick walls.

Our familiarity with the RAs and Campus Safety create a weirdly close relationship between authority and residents. College students consume large quantities of alcohol when compared to the rest of the population. In fact, many participate in other recreational things as well, all of which fall under things not fully condoned by Residence Life. That being said, when authority figures enforce the policies on such a small campus, the resentment from students grows like a forest fire deep within the woods.

But, on a positive note, Reid Castle is really a marvel to look at. It’s definitely a beautiful piece of architecture and a delicacy for the eyes. Not to mention, the church and chapel are potentially the front sellers for prospective students. And how could I forget the place where you can always find me, the library, which does have quite a good collection of Gregorian chants.