Honoring Professor Andrew Bodenrader

BIANCA REYES

Professor Andrew Bodenrader was welcomed into Manhattanville College with open arms, back in 2000. Bodenrader went on to teach American Studies and English Literature. Several years later, he was deemed the Director of Academic Writing, where he later introduced the “Writing Desk.” Peer tutors worked this desk at all times, waiting for students to come in, looking for help with their writing assignments. The Writing Desk became an academic staple for the library and developed into what is now formallyknown as, The Andrew Bodenrader Center for Academic Writing and Composition.

Peer tutors in The Writing Center were a huge part of Bodenrader’s vision of the space where students came to discuss writing, language, and literature.

Victoria Santamorena, a senior at Manhattanville College, has been working at the Writing Desk for three years.
“If there is anything I learned from him in that time, it was to never lose my passion for learning, reading, or writing. Every time I walked into the Writing Center to take my place at the desk, Professor Bodenrader gave me a silent nod from his office, as if I was worthy of sitting in that seat, as if he knew all that I was capable of. I’d talk to him every morning before starting my shift at The Writing Desk. We’d discuss books I had read, places he had traveled, literature classes that I couldn’t wait to take with him,” said Santamorena.

Santamorena also reminisced about the times she had spent discussing literature with Bodenrader.

“I would always leave his office with a new list of books to read, new movies to watch, a notebook page filled with places to visit, and questions to ask him the next time we had our discussions. We talked about movies, authors, TV shows, and more. I want to thank him for hiring me, for believing in me, and encouraging me. I know he cared for all of his students and would want us to live our lives to the fullest. I know it’s cliché, but I really think the phrase ‘carpe diem’ describes all he believed in, and all he wanted his students to achieve.”

Tutoring Coordinator of Academic Resource Center and Writing Specialist for the Academic Writing Center, Carleigh Brower remembers her colleague and dear friend as a well-rounded individual.

“Every student who had the good fortune to cross Andrew Bodenrader’s path–whether they took one of his classes, worked in the Writing Center, sought tutoring or needed advising–encountered an empathetic, passionate, and brilliant educator. Andy was also an extraordinary colleague and friend, always willing to provide professional and personal advice about teaching, traveling, books, films, food, and life,” said Brower.

Bodenrader was a warm, and friendly individual who attracted and impacted so many members
of the Manhattanville Community.

“I think Andy’s primary attribute as a colleague was empathy. I’ve been surprised and not surprised at the amount of students, after
his death, who have said how well he knew them,” said Professor John Proctor.

First Year Writing Professor Joseph Fasano, remembers his colleague’s influence on students, sparking
a love of literature.

“Professor Bodenrader represented all that is best about Manhattanville. His adventurous spirit served as a guide for his students and colleagues, in literature and life,” said Fasano.

Andrew Bodenrader will always be remembered for his passion for literature and teaching. Lover of reading, “Moby Dick” was one of his favorite pieces of literature.

“He was so enthusiastic about finding a way to get students to read. For example, I had no interest in ‘Moby Dick’ and he really engaged me with the text. I’ll always be grateful and remember him for that spirit and energy,” said Manhattanville senior and President of the Campus Activities Board, Rai-ya Wilson.

Professor Proctor closed with, “Andy hired me essentially after I had primarily taught with Communications courses. And he was then rebuilding Academic Writing. When he hired me, it was almost entirely taught by adjunct. And so it was his goal to have a department that consisted of having primarily full timers. We now have that. And I feel that it was his primary legacy.”

To support his legacy, please make a contribution to The Andrew Bodenrader Center for Academic Writing and Composition.

http://community.mville.edu/donation-pages/bodenrader

Email this to someoneShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Reddit