Manhattanville Men’s Soccer Success

CHRIS COLOSI

From Brazil to Belgium and from Hungary to Sweden, the Manhattanville Men’s Soccer team features a wide variety of players with great talent. After holding a record of 10 wins, 7 losses, and 5 draws, the Valiants look to improve on a fairly strong year.

New head coach Kyle Dezotell can hopefully bring the team to the top. Dezotell, who graduated from Middlebury College in 2003, has had much success as a player and now as a coach. In his four years at Middlebury, Dezotell scored 34 goals and had 22 assists, which is the most in the College’s history.

Dezotell continued his success as a head coach, holding record of 130 wins, 63 losses, and 18 draws in ten seasons at Norwich University. Additionally, he won three Great Northeast Athletic Conference Coach of the Year honors and is the winningest coach in
school history.

“I’m looking to establish a culture of success with our Manhattanville Men’s Soccer program— I want to be a program that is always good. While I would like to compete for regional and national championships, I am mostly concerned with establishing consistent levels of success annually,” said Dezotell when asked about transitioning the Valiants.

For any coach, winning is always the main priority— but that is sometimes easier said than done.

The MAC Freedom Conference is never an easy one to have great success in; it takes a lot of hard work and a group of dedicated players to really thrive. After winning their first two games under Dezotell (beating Elms and NYU, edging their opponents both games with a score of 2-0) the Valiants have lost two at of their last three.

Although they had impressive shut out back to back wins to start the campaign, they have been outscored 5 to 2 in the three games since.
Sophomore Michael Jean-Charles had this to say about his head coach, “I love playing for him. He sets high expectations for us and really pushes us to achieve them, he’s a great coach on and off the field.”

Dezotell looks for his team to always be organized and ready for whatever comes their way and he feels that he has prepared them accordingly. Success is extremely important to him and he will settle for nothing less. When asked about his goals for the Valiants, Dezotell said, “It is cliché certainly but my primary goal is that we work to improve every single day. If we do that, I believe the results will take care of themselves. Being fully transparent, I would say that it would be a disappointment if we did not qualify for the MAC Freedom playoffs this season.”

Manhattanville takes great pride in its athletic teams and it is easy to root for them all since we are such a small college. The Valiant community is one that is tight-knitted, and Coach Dezotell is seemingly satisfied with that.

“Manhattanville is a great institution with a very positive campus environment. I’ve really enjoyed my group as well as getting to know many of our other student-athletes from the various sports. I look forward to seeing Manhattanville achieve athletic success across the board this year and beyond,” said Dezotell.

As the men’s soccer season progresses, we can expect nothing less than Manhattanville leaving it all out on the field. Whether the team is winning or losing, having a coach like Dezotell in the lead is great for the character of the team. With a fierce winning mentality in mind, the Valiants soccer team is definitely one to keep your eye on.

Email this to someoneShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Reddit