Spotlight Artist: Tara Murphy

Spotlight Artist: Tara Murphy

By JESSICA COWLE

Spotlight Artist- Tara MurphyTara Murphy is a sophomore at Manhattanville College with a double major in Digital Media Production & Studio Art, both with concentrations in Photography and a minor in Dance. Throughout her career in photography, she has won many of awards, including The National Foundation YoungArts 2015 Photography, the same award artist Nicki Minaj won for singing in 2000. Tara has also won a free trip to Los Angeles for a weeklong program to work with famous photographers. Out of the 11,000 performers and artists that entered, Tara was one of 50 photographers chosen in the nation.

Tara’s work was displayed in the Brownson Gallery for the Annual Phyllis and Gary Grebstein Memorial Fund for the Visual Arts Contest. The ceremony and judging took place on March 19, 2016.

“Can you talk a little bit about this photo?”

“The photo is one of my newer pieces, which is featured in my series, titled “The Forgotten.” I took this photo because I was walking around a pond and came across a toy boat in the water that looked like it had gotten stuck, or someone had forgotten it. It caught my eye and the water around it gave the image a nice texture. I like how it is presented and how the boat was randomly found. There are many stories that can come out of the image and that’s the message I want to get through to the viewer.”

Email this to someoneShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Reddit