Graffiti's Poetry Gala

Graffiti’s Poetry Gala

By REBECCA STROUD

poetry

Graffiti held a poetry reading in the Ophir Room of the castle on Thursday, November 12th. The event was filled with emotion. While some of the poems were reflections of pain, the readers seemed exquisitely alive and excited while sharing their work. Truly describing each of these person’s performances can not be done, as each was special in their own way and to not see or hear them could not do justice. These readers exposed themselves through their work and I commend them.

Joseph Fasano thinks, “November’s poetry night, hosted by Gaby Van Welie and Victoria Santamorena, was a resounding success.  With over forty students in attendance, we were treated to readings of original work, discussions about poetry and literature, and the kind of conviviality that makes Manhattanville special.  I was very pleased to be able to participate in such a chorus of voices, and I hope to see all this student talent in my poetry workshops in the future!”

For people interested in pursuing poetry, his idea is this: “As for advice for young writers, I’d suggest nothing other than what many of our students already seem to know: writing demands a continued attention to the intricacies of craft and the immensities of spirit.  In an often recounted dream that the American poet Larry Levis had of Yeats, the great Irish master turned to the young poet and whispered, ‘Passion is the only thing that matters in poetry.  As a matter of fact, it is the only thing that matters in life.’”

Victoria Santamorena, one of the hosts of the event thinks, “Poetry, for me, allows us to say something beautiful, true, or powerful about the world we live in. It can be something about ourselves or can express anything. Poetry is so flexible. It is emotion and it is art. That’s what I like about it.”

Regarding the reading she says, “The reading went exceptionally well! I wish more people could have read, though. The event was so successful. It was one of the biggest turnouts we’ve had for Graffiti. We couldn’t have done it without the help of Professor Fasano. I’m so glad that so many people wanted to share their poetry with us and contribute to Manhattanville’s voice.”