YOUTH FIND THEIR VOICE: MANHATTANVILLE’S STUDIO ART SENIORS PRESENT THEIR ARTWORK IN ARTHUR BERGER AND BROWNSON GALLERIES

by ELIZABETH MORALES

What do a sunset, a portrait, and a tree have in common? According to Manhattanville’s studio art seniors: the power of inspiration. These three concepts were the key elements that inspired their artwork presented on Wednesday, 23rd April in the Brownson Gallery. Three artists on exhibition include Caitlin McHugh, Darla Barolini-Lawrence, and Skylar Carfi. Featured in the Berger Gallery were students Casandra Honovich, Samatha Ianucci, Mathew Marano, and Paul Albanese. What do these young talents have to offer? 

Caitlin McHugh

by Caitlin McHugh

McHugh’s photographs of nature are full of life and color. “I have been on medical leave, so to me my photographs are about new beginnings,” said McHugh. Her photographs are not the usual landscape, as the brightness of the colors represents her emotions.

Darla Barolini-Lawrence art work

by Darla Barolini-Lawrence

Barolini-Lawrence paints realistic portraits of friends and family. Her brush strokes are very spontaneous and full of color; at times it seems as if one is looking at an abstract painting when observing her brush strokes.

Carfi’s work mixes figurative and abstract art. “My work is representational of what is going on in my mind and how I deal with it,” said Carfi. Her pieces, both figurative and abstract, evoke meditation and inner reflection.

Casandra's work

by Casandra Honovich 

Honovich’s work includes watercolors of trees. “I decided to focus my main concept on trees because I like the flow and the life cycle that is part of nature,” said Honovich. The trees are outlined and brush stokes only suggest their color. Hidden in the trees, skeletons hands of skulls can be seen, suggesting that trees feed on the earth beneath them.

Each artist’s piece was characterized by their distinct styles and highlighted the true purpose of art: the opportunity to find their voice and express their individuality through creativity.