Studying abroad in Brazil

Parque Ibirapuera, São Paulo, Brazil- With my fellow study abroad students from CIEE (Council for International Student Exchange.)

by VALERIA RICCIULLI MARIN ’15

To exploit my well earned time during my study abroad in Brazil, I decided to a create a blog. The blog serves as an outlet to combine my love of journalism and my interest in gender studies.

The name of the blog is “parabens,” and seeks to profile an analysis on gender relations in Brazil, based on my own perceptions as a Latin American woman, sharing in the cultural values of the country, while still being a young sojourner. To date, I’ve written three posts about my opinion on the distinctive behavior of men and women during carnival; a view on the culture of machismo that presides in country and a general overview on Brazilian society. My plan is to feature women on the street that impact me and inspire me, as well as noting exemplary non-profits that benefit them and that I come into contact with.

I will also post pictures of street art, particularly graffiti, as well as posters that refer to feminism and the struggle of Brazilian women against machismo.

Soon, I will also have top 10 lists on my favorite and least favorite things about Brazilian culture: gastronomy, music, film, telenovelas, language, etc. Follow my adventures in the south of the continent and learn some more about it! Follow my blog on WordPress.