A New Beginning: Touchstone Staff Welcomes Professor Randye Spina

Randye with book

By ALEXANDRA T. ESPINAL ‘16

In light of Professor Rudel’s departure from Manhattanville College, Touchstone has begun the Spring 2014 semester with a new advisor, Professor Randye Spina. Professor Spina has been teaching at Manhattanville for over ten years and is an Adjunct Professor in the Communications Department.

Before teaching, she worked at various financial institutions including banks, American Express, and others. Her last corporate position was as VP of Marketing and Product Development at a firm in Southern California. While working for them, she realized she wanted to teach: “It was there while traveling the country and training our local offices that I had my “ah ha” moment and realized I loved training, and began to work toward moving my career in the direction of training and teaching. It was one of the best life decisions I ever made and I’ve never looked back,” Spina said.  

When asked what got her interested in Touchstone, Professor Spina pointed out that her generation is probably the last that reads actual newspapers. She added, “Since 2003 when I began here at Manhattanville, I’ve always read all the issues when they were put in my mailbox. As an adjunct, it was a good way for me to learn more about the school and a way to stay tethered to what was going on. Then, last semester when I met Laura Dicker in one of my classes, she asked me to be the new advisor. I jumped on it.”

Owner of Affordable Marketing Solutions LLC, a company that she started “to serve the marketing needs of small businesses that don’t have marketing departments”, she has exciting plans for Touchstone this year. “I’d like it to become the go to source for everything on campus as well as the place to go for student-written news. I also think it’s possible to turn it into a profitable enterprise by doing all the right things to make it so that we can measure its impact on campus and sell advertising to anyone who wants to give us their money,” she said.

Professor Spina, who has a B.A. in Marketing from Pace University and a M.B.A in International Business from University of Dallas, also teaches at the Connecticut Community College system at both Norwalk and Housatonic Community Colleges. She helped launch the Norwalk Community College’s school newspaper eleven years ago. “I know that my former school newspaper experience, combined with my marketing, PR and promotions expertise could really help Touchstone. It has so much promise and an amazing group of dedicated, enthusiastic students on staff. What I can add is related more to its packaging and perception on campus and in the larger Manhattanville Community such as Alumni and prospective students and their parents,” Spina said. “I’ve seen how far the Norwalk student newspaper has come and there’s no reason why we can’t do that or better here at Manhattanville. I look forward to the challenge.”